Thursday, March 31, 2011

I Owe It To The Junior League..

This year I've finally decided to dedicate some of my extra time {the little that I have} to becoming a member of the Charleston Junior League. As a "provisional" your split up into groups with ladies in your local geographic area. Most groups do fun activities like cocktail parties and dinners, but ours didn't do much, until tonight. We had our first big cocktail outing {hosted by us!} where I learned some interesting points of conversation I thought I'd share:

1.  Gummy vitamins are like candy. Apparently when you get a sweet craving, popping one or four of these puppies give you a boost and satisfy your sweet tooth. Needless to say I think I'll be adding them to my cart the next go-around to Target and you should too.



2. People dumpster dive for coupons, seriously. Couponers are crazy! Apparently they are in 8 week cycles. I shall research this and give your the real details, but really how would the normal person know this? Well, it's a good thing I signed up for the speaker at our next General Membership Meeting so I can learn how. Too bad none of my friends will be joining me as this popular topic is no longer available for sign up. Don't worry girls, I'll make copies of my hand outs and we can all recap. I promise we'll never be dumpster diving. 


3. One of our girls didn't realize Jilllian Michaels is a bitch. Really. She's not a nice lady. Just do the shred and you'll understand- or watch the biggest loser.


4. Mousercize is real. From 1985. Just watch this clip, that's all.



 5. Lastly, by far the best Charleston Junior League Cookbook is and is available for purchase at Charleston Receipts Repeats or from me if your local. Old school southern cooking at it's finest. It's how I'm going to become a true Southern Lady. Stay tuned for recipes, and hopefully some blog posts on the official blog once I get my placement.





For now, here's a sampling of the d'lish southern finds from this book.. make it. You know you want to.

CHARLESTON RED RICE

Published in Charleston Receipts and credited to Wilmot Welsh Gibbs, Pargie and Cussie’s dear friend.
  • Fry bacon. Remove bacon from pan.
  • Saute onions in bacon grease.
  • Add tomato paste, water, salt, sugar & pepper.
  • Cook uncovered slowly (about 10 minutes) until it measures about 2 cups.
  • Pour into the top of steamer with the raw rice.
  • Add any extra bacon grease.
  • Steam for 30 minutes, then add crumbled bacon & stir with a fork.
  • Cook for 30-45 minutes longer.
this was found on Taste Book- Charleston Receipts Repeats

6. What the hell is an Estill? For those of you that don't know, the floor plan of our home is called the Estill. I never knew what it meant, but last night one of the neighbors said it may be the builder's last name. WRONG! While in conversation tonight I overheard one of the girls talking about Estill which I've never heard outside of our floorplan name. What is an Estill? It's a town in SC.

Fun night with fabulous girls!
xoxoxo
post signature

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for inviting us to the Estill and hosting...that was the most JL fun I've had all year! After all that amazing food last night I think I'll be hitting up my old Mousercize video tonight :-)

    ReplyDelete